|Vincent van Gogh
How it works:
1. Students will use computer technology as a resource to
learn about the Post-Impressionist artist, Vincent van Gogh.
2. Students will
analyze and interpret van Gogh's painting "The Starry Night".
3. Students will
create a line drawing entitled "Scary Night".
What you need:
Teacher Steps To Prepare
1. Teacher preparation of web sites to be used as
2. Gather visual resources.
3. Print lyrics of "Vincent" by Don
1. Students will use world wide web to gather research
information and acquire photos of van Gogh's works.
2. Students will read,
review and discuss a short history of van Gogh's life entitled "Forces of
3. Students will compare and contrast van Gogh's works and the
relationship of the song "Vincent".
4. Students will investigate the role of van
Gogh's relationship with his brother and his series of mental illnesses.
Students will analyze and interpret "The Starry Night".
6. Students will create
their own emotional interpretation of the Halloween season, entitled "Scary
Night" utilizing van Gogh's brushstroke with the art medium craypas.
1. Class discussion
2. Short quizzes
4. Oral interpretation of poetry
5. Peer review and
evaluation of work.
6. Classroom critique
Standards Addressed by This Unit:
1. Students will apply their understanding of art history
to their own work.
2. Students will respond to and analyze works of art.
Students will create a work of art in a variety of art
Vincent van Gogh is best know for his
vibrant use of color and swirling brushstrokes to express his emotions in his
painting. His brother, Theo, was a deep inspiration and driving force throughout
his short life. van Gogh painted for only 10 years and produced over 200 works
of art. He never sold a painting while he was alive.
1. http://vangoghmuseum.nl/ - a
visit to the van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam
2. http://vangoghgallery.com/ -
posters of van Gogh paintings
3. http://artmuseum.net/ - a virtual
reality visit through van Gogh's paintings "The Yellow House" and "The Bedroom"