Teachers Network
Translate Translate English to Chinese Translate English to French
  Translate English to German Translate English to Italian Translate English to Japan
  Translate English to Korean Russian Translate English to Spanish
Lesson Plan Search
Our Lesson Plans
TeachNet Curriculum Units
Classroom Specials
Popular Teacher Designed Activities
TeachNet NYC Directory of Lesson Plans TeachNet NYC Dirctory of Lesson Plans

VIDEOS FOR TEACHERS
RESOURCES
Teachers Network Leadership Institute
How-To Articles
Videos About Teaching
Effective Teachers Website
Lesson Plans
TeachNet Curriculum Units
Classroom Specials
Teacher Research
For NYC Teachers
For New Teachers
HOW-TO ARTICLES
TEACHER RESEARCH
LINKS

GRANT WINNERS
TeachNet Grant:
Lesson Plans
2010
TeachNet Grant Winners
2009
TeachNet Grant Winners
Adaptor Grant Winners
2008
TeachNet Grant Winners
Adaptor Grant Winners
2007
TeachNet Grant Winners
Adaptor Grant Winners
Other Grant Winners
Power-to-Learn
Math and Science Learning
Ready-Set-Tech
Impact II
Grant Resources
Grant How-To's
Free Resources for Teachers
ABOUT
Our Mission
Funders
   Pacesetters
   Benefactors
   Donors
   Sponsors
   Contributors
   Friends
Press
   Articles
   Press Releases
Awards
   Cine
   Silver Reel
   2002 Educational Publishers Award

Sitemap

Teachers Network Leadership Institute:
List Archives

Lesson Study

This is a conversation among the MetLife Fellows of the Teachers Network Policy Institute. These teacher leaders participate in a monthly shared reading and discussion program. These conversations take place online.The topic of this discussion is The Teaching Gap by James Stigler and James Hiebert.

--Stigler, James and James Hiebert. The Teaching Gap: Best Ideas from the World's Teachers for Improving Education in the Classroom. New York: The Free Press, 1999. -- Using videotaped lessons from the United States, Japan and Germany, the authors revel exactly how other countries stay ahead of the US in the rate of their children learning. American schools can be restructured as a place where teachers can engage in career-long learning and classrooms can become laboratories for developing new, teaching centered ideas.

-- Lewis, Catherine C. and I. Tsuchida. "A Lesson is Like a Swiftly Flowing River: Research Lessons and the Improvement of Japanese Education." American Educator, Winter,  1998. 14-17 & 50-52.  Insightfully analyzes the efficacy of the practice of "Lesson Study" in the Japanese educational system. The (free) Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the article.

Date: January 1, 2002

From: Gail

     Happy 2002 to all! Shirley  and I will be the moderators for the January discussion. Shirley teaches 1st grade, and I teach K-1 by day and adults (master's level) by night. We chose lesson study/research lessons as our topic, because we were so energized by Joe and Frances' presentation at Snowbird last summer. On the flight out to Utah, I read The Teaching Gap, which I highly recommend. It's a quick and interesting read. The authors believe that Japanese students consistently outscore German and American students at TIMSS because of better teaching. Japanese teachers work together to plan, deliver, analyze, replan and re-deliver lessons to their students. This approach is also explained in the article "A Lesson Is Like a Swiftly Flowing River," which has been posted on the TNPI website.
     Shirley and I really liked the collaborative and reflective nature of this approach to teaching/learning. Teachers gather together and discuss what students need to know and be able to do. They share ideas for how to help students construct that knowledge. Then, one teacher delivers the lesson while other teachers watch and take notes. The lesson is also videotaped for further analyzing and reflection. Afterward, the teachers gather and debrief the lesson. This type of professional dialogue is rare in American schools. Why? It seems to me that time for collaboration, release time for observations and more time for debriefing are major obstacles. However, additional obstacles are the traditional isolation of the American teacher in his/her classroom, resistance to change/different ways of doing things, and inertia are also obstacles.
     When Shirley and I proposed "having a go" with lesson study at our school, we were at first taken aback by the resistance of our colleagues. One of them even said, "I don't want to waste so much time on just one lesson." We learned three valuable lessons from this. First, spend some time convincing educators of the need for and benefits of change. Second, emphasize that studying the lesson is a vehicle for the more important work of collaboration and reflection. True, the focus is one lesson, but the lesson can (and should be) conceptually rich and cognitively challenging. Third, in our typically American way of thinking that more must be better, we outlined a plan for planning, organizing and delivering four lessons during the course of the school year. We realized right away that this was way too ambitious! Especially after rereading our source materials and rediscovering that the Japanese focus on ONE lesson.
     Despite our presentation errors and the resistance of some, we were successful in convincing some of our colleagues to try lesson study. My multi-age family (consisting of two 3rd-grade teachers, one 2nd-grade teacher, one 1st-grade teacher, and two K-1 teachers) is in the middle of planning a lesson on elapsed time that will be delivered to 3rd-graders in January. Shirley's multi-age family is planning a language arts lesson. One of our goals was to choose topics that are relevant and important to all grade levels so that all grade-level teachers in the family can provide input as well as grow professionally from the dialogue about the concepts. An additional goal was to choose concepts that Kings Park students were struggling with on our beloved (sarcasm here) standardized tests. My family feels we've met both goals. At our next meeting, we will actually plan the lesson and choose a delivery date.
     Because our principal is committed to best practices and willingly embraces change, she is whole-heartedly supporting our efforts. She provides us with meeting time, during the school day, so we can collaborate and plan. She will provide sub coverage and videotaping equipment for lesson delivery and observation.
     Naturally, Shirley and I will keep you posted on the results of our efforts. In the meantime, we'd like to hear your thoughts about lesson study. Have any of you tried it? What were the results? For those of you who are new to the idea, are you willing to try it? Why/why not?

Date: January 6, 2002

From: Jean

     I was so happy to receive this email because I am in the process of doing my first teacher collaborative research lesson on January 15th and I needed the pep talk! It does take a lot of coordinating with teachers, the principal, and the district science coordinator, on top of doing the planning......however, I am convinced this is an excellent way of using our time better and even more importantly, teaching our students more effectively.....The Teaching Gap has been my guide and having been in Tokyo and seeing first hand how teachers work collaboratively, I am excited to try this....wish me luck and I will be sending results of my experience in late January (if it's good news or not!)

Date: January 6, 2002

From: Jane

Happy New Year All!

      Gail the obstacles you stated above is exactly what I would consider before I would bring lesson study to my staff. I am at a new, bigger school this year. I use to work with 15 teachers (teaching experiences ranging from 0-5 years) who were use to collaboration and trying out new methods of instruction. At
my new school, the 45 teachers range from 1-30+ years of experience. Although some of the teachers are eager to work together and look at student work and instructional practice, the majority of them don't want to change what they have been doing for years or even talk about teaching. The principal (her second year) is eager to make changes, but she is also very hesitant she knows there is a lot of resistance.
     I think one way to introduce the concept of lesson study is to actually show one of the videos from Japan. I actually bought two of them. The video demonstrate exactly what a lesson study looks like in action and the parts of it. I know that if my principal were to see the videos, she would jump on board. My fear is that she would make it a staff requirement and if that were to happen, the effects would not be as beneficial to teachers or students. All teachers are not ready for this. One way I would like to see it presented is to ask teachers that are interested after viewing the videos to meet and discuss the possibilities. Like Gail and Shirley's family group of teachers, I think it would be better to start small and then expand on this "new" concept.
     I showed the videos to the teachers I work with in the Early Literacy Club (a smaller group of teacher who have met regularly for over six years). They were interested, but not quite sure they were ready for that. The thought of  group of colleagues walking into their classroom to watch them teach a lesson terrified them, and being video taped was even more frightening. Unless teachers have had experience in modeling lessons in front of others or being video taped, it is not a comfortable situation. And even if we found a teacher to volunteer for the task, release time is always an issue. How would/could we be released from our own classrooms to observe another colleague in theirs? Has anyone figured out a way?
      We discussed how we could modify the process to meet our needs. One suggestion was that we could: 1. Select a lesson to look at collectively and plan it out together. We are all mandated to teach from the same reading program, so it would not be a problem to choose a common lesson. 2: Video tape one or several teachers teaching the same lesson. 3. Come back together to view the lessons, listen to the teachers share their experience, reflect on what we saw, and discuss ways in which we could modify the lesson to make it more effective (concentrating on the lesson itself, not the teacher).
     We are not at the point in which we are ready to do this, but we are thinking about it. The teachers decided to focus on action research first. On the 16th, I am going to UCLA to hear Dr. Stigler who co-wrote The Teaching Gap speak. I am looking forward to hearing his research findings first hand and will share.

Date: January 6, 2002

From: Gail

Jane,
     I'm really looking forward to hearing what you find out on the 16th! I think you raised several important points about lesson study. First, it absolutely should NOT be required by administrators--this top-down approach is a sure way to foster, rather than overcome, teacher reluctance and resentment. The interest in doing it should come from teachers themselves (bottom-up), but be supported by administration. When Shirley and I presented the idea to our colleagues, it was with the full support of our administrator, but the idea came from us. And we did show one of the videos, which I think helped some people visualize what we meant by one teacher delivering the lesson while colleagues observe and take notes.
    Because we have our principal's support, we have been able to arrange for release time. In fact, I just conferred with her on Friday about how many substitutes my multi-age family will need for the lesson I'm delivering on Feb. 5th. I think it would be really hard to organize release time without administrative support. As for videotaping, I agree that many may find it intimidating, but after going through the National Board process, I don't, so I volunteered to be the one who delivers the lesson. What will make it really interesting is that I'm delivering our lesson to two third grade classes, not to my own class. Although, I think I'll deliver a modified version of it to my own class first, as a sort of dress rehearsal. Because we selected a concept that spans K-3, I believe it will be a meaningful learning experience for both my students and for me.

Date: January 6, 2002

From: Lisa

     I've been following the Lesson Study dialogue with interest...our Local District will be working  with the University of California, Office of the President and Joan from Sonoma Office of Education to engage middle school mathematics teachers in Lesson Study, to begin at the end of this month.
     As a teacher-participant in networks, as a facilitator of teacher-initiated case discussions and action research in LA, I am for the first time in 20 years acting as "line staff" as a mathematics advisor for the secondary schools (including 6 of the largest year round schools in the country). The issue raised in the latest thread as to teacher-initiated vs. top-down is for me now one of how to provide horizontal leadership to my teacher-peers at these school sites.
     Interest in Lesson Study was generated through content training offered on a voluntary basis to middle school and upper elementary teachers this fall, and through an information meeting open to any middle school mathematics teacher. The approach Joan  will take with the group is one based on her experience with teachers in northern California who began Lesson Study last year, and is informed by the Yoshida and Fernandez research and the Teaching Gap/TIMSS research. We will keep you posted on how this process evolves - the team of math coaches and advisors who are out of the classroom will be learning along-side the classroom teachers. I would very much like the teacher-participants in this endeavor to share their thoughts and experiences through the network.
     Thanks to UCOP assistance there are also plans to capture the process on video and through on-line discussion groups. We'll keep everyone posted!

Date: January 6, 2002

From: Sheldon

     I enjoyed reading the Flowing River article. It makes so much sense to plan and deliver lessons in this manner, especially to a novice teacher like myself. I do have a question: How do you convince your coworkers/supervisors that this is a great idea? This year, I have gone to several colleagues to come in unannounced to observe me for suggestions and they simply do not have the time. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Date: January 7, 2002

From: Gail

Sheldon, your question is a very important one. How does one convince colleagues that it is worth the time to observe other teachers? Shirley and I experienced mixed results in our efforts to convince our colleagues that lesson study was a worthwhile endeavor. Anyone have good persuasive techniques/ideas to share?

Date: January 7, 2002

From: Sally

     A great idea to have others observe you! What works for me is if you set up a specific time for the first observation to whet the observation appetite. To leave it open often puts the idea on the back burner of busy teachers' days. Good luck to you, and keep us informed!

Date: January 7, 2002

From: Christine

     There are a lot of obstacles to research lessons. Time, lack of support, fear, curricular issues , etc. I've been trying to convince colleagues to try one lesson. I have 2 takers so far. What seems to have helped convince them is to let them decide the topic to be researched and do most of the planning. They are very interested seeing how some lesson ideas work. I will be teaching the lesson during my prep time to one of their classes while the third teacher's class is at P.E. We are starting small and with a lot of trepidation but we are going to try.

Date: January 8, 2002

From: Carol

      Another idea is to frame the effort under the notion of Peer Coaching. By talking it up among teachers about the mutual benefits of having a peer observe and provide coaching feedback versus the traditional administrative model under evaluation, teachers would be more eager and see the benefits. Once a small nucleus of teachers (2-3) want to join you in peer coaching, the lesson study model could be the heart of the work, and you could approach the site principal with the request for support to make it happen. That support may be some specific release time for short periods of time, the principal and assistant principal taking the classes of 2 teachers who want to observe/coach; asking a teacher to combine P.E. classes to enable you to observe/coach, etc. etc. The whole idea is to look at all resources at the school site, all time spots, and see how they may be creatively considered to create the support for observation/coaching around lesson study.

Date: January 8, 2002

From: Gail

     Your idea sounds like a great way to get a toe in the water! I agree that an excellent way to promote "buy in" is to allow maximum ownership of the planning process. Good luck and keep us posted!

Date: January 9, 2002

From: Alice

     In District 2, NYC, the middle school math teacher leaders of the district piloted lesson studies last year in collaboration with Teachers College. Lessons were planned by a group of teachers. One teacher taught the lesson in his/her class and this was videotaped. Immediately afterwards, the debriefing was done and also videotaped. The teachers then went back with the feedback they got and worked on the same lesson for another teacher to do in his/her class.
     This year, they've also trying to do the same thing in the elementary schools. Right now, if you go to the following site http://www.tc.columbia.edu/lessonstudy/csd2.html, you can see the lessons that have been done so far in the upper schools and the lesson study protocol we are following. It's quite an interesting process and the teachers participating have found them very helpful in their teaching and understanding of mathematics.

Date: January 9, 2002

From: Sheryn

     I am an Academic Facilitator, which is a teacher leader position. My job is to demonstrate lessons, team teach, plan collaboratively, and provide staff development for all of the teachers in my 6-12 performing arts magnet. I have found that demonstrating ideas works fairly well, but paying teachers a stipend for time spent after school works best of all. If you could get some money (a grant or corporate sponsor) to pay teachers to participate in Lesson Study, you would probably have excellent participation. I have a grant right now that is about teaching math through the arts. I wrote into the grant that we would pay our teachers for the time they spend planning lessons with community arts educators. I had 100% participation! I think teachers are tired of giving their time away. They want to be paid for what they perceive as extra work. I do not blame them for feeling entitled to payment for that work.

Date: January 10, 2002

From: Gail

     I LOVE your idea of paying teacher's for their time! What a novel concept (twinge of sarcasm inserted here). Has anyone else tried Lesson Study/Research Lessons and paid teachers for meeting after hours?

Date: January 10, 2002

From: Lisa

      There is a precedent for paying teachers for teacher-networks in the Los Angeles Unified School District...the Urban Systemic Initiative did this using NSF funding, District funds and Eisenhower professional development funds. This is a longer road to travel but worthwhile, to have the "system" recognize teacher-initiated and driven long term planning as a VALUABLE professional development pathway.

Date: January 10, 2002

From: Diane

     The teacher associations around the country are firm believers in paying teachers for the hours which the actually work. I agree with you, Sheryn. Teachers are tired of being expected to work outside the school day for no additional compensation. Is our time not as valued as professionals in other careers? If you are unable to negotiate the additional funds at your district bargaining table, then grants may be the place to turn. (Don't forget the many dollars that Title I has available.) District leaders need to be continually made aware of our professionalism outside the classroom (action research and various studies and reflections that we do) and to value that as well. Bringing it to your association's attention is also necessary in order to make it a central issue at the Table.

Date: January 10, 2002

From: Gail

Diane,
     How fortunate you and others are to live in collective bargaining states. Virginia is a right to work state, so our union has persuasive influence, but no "oomph" to back it up. Also, many of the "powers that be" are of a conservative mind-set and don't seem to think that teachers are professionals whose time is valuable.

Date: January 17, 2002

From: Diane

Gail,
     Yes, we have collective bargaining in our state. I only wish we had binding arbitration. My District and local association just went through impasse and a special hearing master. The District presented their exhibits and my association presented ours. The master said that the District did in fact bargain in good faith. We disagree! Not one penny increase has been offered or a step up on the salary (experience) schedule. My teachers and other school employees are very upset with this decision. Even if the "Master" had agreed with us, his decision was not binding. In other words, the school bd. does not have to oblige. My teachers will be coming out in full force to the next school bd. meeting to appeal to the Bd. members AGAIN.

Date: January 21, 2002

From: Sheryn

Alice,
Thank you very much for sharing that idea with me. I especially like the idea of teachers planning a lesson together, and then one of them implementing it. That would not exactly work with my workshop participants because they will come from different schools. However, I could ask small groups of them plan a lesson, ask them each to video tape themselves doing the lesson, and then they could compare video tapes with each other. They could notice all kinds of things that way. Do you think that would work? This method would be a little safer than asking each of them to do their own thing and open themselves up for criticism. It might smooth the way for doing one on their own eventually.
Sheryn

Date: January 21, 2002

From: Alice

Dear Sheryn,
      The teachers in my district participating in the lesson study are also from different schools. What they did during their planning sessions in the beginning of the year was form groups of teachers from different schools to work as a team on planning their lesson, putting it up on the website, do the lesson first in one teacher's class, debrief with the other teacher leaders who came to observe the lesson, then re-plan the same lesson to be taught by another teacher with his/her class. The second lesson is also debriefed by all who observed the lesson and then the team puts up their summary on the website. All the teachers who teach the lessons do so voluntarily and they find the input from their colleagues helpful. I hope that eventually, they will do some video-streaming on the website so that others like you will be able to access the work and see the process in action.
     Your suggestion about teachers videotaping themselves and then sharing sounds good but I have a feeling teachers won't be volunteering so readily. Having teachers physically in the classroom and observing first hand provides excellent instantaneous feedback as well as support.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
Alice

Date: January 21, 2002

From: Allison

     Through the NEST program at my school we are trying to incorporate the Lesson Study approach to teaching and planning. We are trying to form a study group using the "Swiftly Flowing" article as a focus. We are also trying to have our NEST coach teachers launch the approach with some of our new teachers.
One major modification is the videotaping. People are nervous about being filmed.
     Another thing we are trying is to modify the approach by using our Teacher Center specialist. She will be conducting lessons in classrooms. Other teachers will be freed up in order to observe the lesson. We haven't worked out the details yet but so far one administrator is supportive of the effort.
      I was thinking of e-mailing Gail about the Lesson Study approach we are trying to do at 314 (the idea of a professional study group using the article (Swiftly Flowing) and using coach teachers to launch the approach with new teachers. What do you think?

Allison

Come across an outdated link?
Please visit The Wayback Machine to find what you are looking for.

Journey Back to the Great Before